The School Library
To promote interest in reading among pupils and equip them with basic library skills
Enhanced OPAC and SERR
To access OPAC for CHIJ (Katong) Primary, please click here
Students and Staff are able to perform a search of books and resources available in the school library.
To access SERR for CHIJ (Katong) Primary, please click here
The School eResource Repository is a virtual school library and aims to promote recreational reading as well as support learning for students accross various subjects areas. The repository also provided easy access to online resources such as eBooks, audiobooks, videos and web resources.
You can also browse, borrow and enjoy titles from the National Library Board digital collection
The School Library @ CHIJ (Katong) Primary is a vibrant and colourful haunt for our pupils.
They relish reading the wide range of books and magazines and playing the exciting computer games available in the library. Each girl is allowed to borrow 4 books (at least 2 MTL books) fortnightly, including CD-ROMs from the library.
From 2019, Ms Sharon Lim is the Library Coordinator, with Mrs Faith Heng (Subject Head/English Language) as the Overall In-Charge. Other members include Mrs Macrina Fernandez and Mdm Hamidah, the librarian. We work together to organise programmes that will instill good reading habits in our girls.
The following are the various NEW initiatives planned for the pupils:
Post-exam activities for each level:
P3: Librarian’s Challenge (Term 4)
- Learn about the library through a fun scavenger hunt at Marine Parade Library.
P4: Read, Reap, Write (Term 2 and 4)
- Pupils explore how stories are related to the world around them through engaging series of discussions and activities.
P5: ‘Dare to Read’ (May to July)
- An independent experiential reading journey over 3 months.
- An incredibly exciting, fun and challenging reading activity when pupils find out answers through books, other resources found in the public and school libraries and the internet.
- Pupils go on a thrilling adventure as they go on a quest to solve mission every week.
- Pupils redeem tokens with each successfully completed mission.
For P1: BOOK-a-Date with Daddy
A bonding session between father and daughter through reading at a ‘picnic’ in our school hall, with a simple reflection activity at the end of the programme.
Continuing with the current programme:
LIBRARY INDUCTION PROGRAMME (P1 – P3)
Through this programme, the students are more familiar with:
- Different sections of the library
- Library etiquette
- Programmes and competitions organised by the library
SUPER READER/ MASTER READER/ CLASS READERSHIP AWARDS
Super Reader Badges - Termly rewards for those who meet the target number of books read.
Master Reader Badges - Year-end rewards for those who hit the target number of books borrowed for the whole year (see above).
Year-end rewards for the top 3 classes with the highest borrowing rate of books
Reading Reviews submitted will also get small tokens from Mdm Hamidah.
P4 / P5 READING AMBASSADORS
Selected students will be trained by the teachers to become RAs, who will promote the School Library activities, like storytelling, Book-a-Date with Daddy, Mobile Library, buddy reading, participating in Lit Quiz/competitions, recommendations of favourite books to their classmates and organising and decorating their class library.