Media Resource Library
The Media Resource Library (MRL) @ CHIJ (Katong) Primary is a vibrant and colourful haunt for our pupils.They relish reading the wide range of books and magazines and playing the exciting computer games available in the library. Each girl is allowed to borrow 4 books (at least 2 MTL books) fortnightly, including CD-ROMs from the library.
The following are the various NEW initiatives planned for the pupils in 2019:
- Silent Reading (USSR) to be conducted before school starts.
- From Monday to Wednesday, students are to bring English story books to read before flag-raising ceremony.
- From Thursday to Friday, they have to bring a MTL book to read. NTIL students will bring an English book instead.
- More regular Mobile Library @
Canteen (EL and MT): To make it more convenient for the pupils to borrow
books, a book kiosk will be set up in the canteen during recess.
- Storytelling@Recesses: Parent-Volunteers read to girls in the Library to
enthuse them to read interesting books of different genres during their
recesses (P1 & P2; P3 & P4 )
- Fortnightly schedules for Library
periods (P1& P2): EL teachers will lead their classes to the library fortnightly
to borrow books.
- Books In Bag for P1 & P2 (BIB):
Each child will use a bag with her register number and leave it for Mdm. Latifah to scan the books. She will deliver to the classroom when it is done and collect the bags from the class on a later date.
- Display of Class Readership Chart / Super Reader Awards per term at
Assembly & on the library door
- More Assembly Talks by authors
- Long Recess activities like Origami, Treasure Hunt etc.
Post-exam activities for each level:
P3: Librarian’s Challenge (Term 4)
- Learn about the library through a fun scavenger hunt at Marine Parade Library
P4: Read, Reap, Write (Term 2 and 4)
- Pupils explore how stories are related to the world around them through engaging series of discussions and activities.
P5: 'Dare to Read' (May to July)
- An independent experiential reading journey over 3 months.
- An incredibly exciting, fun and challenging reading activity when pupils find out answers through books, other resources found in the public and school libraries and the internet.
- Pupils go on a thrilling adventure as they go on a quest to solve mission every week.
- Pupils redeem tokens with each successfully completed mission.
For P1: BOOK-a-Date with Daddy
A bonding session between father and daughter through reading at a ‘picnic’ in our school hall, with a simple reflection activity at the end of the programme.
- Different sections of the library
- Library etiquette
- Programmes and
competitions organised by the library
Year-end rewards for the top 3 classes with the highest borrowing rate of books
Reading Reviews submitted will also get small tokens from Mdm Latifah.