The Science Department aims to:
- provide primary students with experiences which build on their interest in and stimulate their curiosity about their environment.
- provide students with basic scientific terms and concepts to help them understand themselves and the world around them.
- provide students with opportunities to develop skills and attitudes necessary for making scientific inquiry.
- help students appreciate how science influences people and the environment.
- using apparatus and equipment
- formulating hypothesis
1) The Living Classroom at East Coast Park
All P5 pupils will get in touch with nature at East Coast Park. “The Living Classroom” nature trail was specially organized for them by the Science Department. Pupils will be led by their classmates who have been trained as nature guides. During the one and a half hour trail, the pupils will use all their senses to learn more about the flora and fauna found at East Coast Park. They will learn about the different seed dispersal methods, medicinal plants, the fruits used by fishermen to “stun’ the fishes and the many uses of the coconut palm.
2) “Let’s Recycle with our Neighbours” Project
3) Recycling Week: “Let’s Recycle with Our Friends and Fathers”
4) Science Fun Day @ the Performance Deck
The Performance Deck has been a popular haunt for all pupils. On certain days, it will be a ‘mini discovery centre’ where Science experiments are carried out by Science monitors. Pupils get first-hand experience at exploring and discovering various scientific concepts. Interesting experiments such as “Colour Changing Milk”, “Floating Magnets” and many more are carried out. New toys have been purchased to arouse pupils' interest in Science.
All P3-P6 pupils will be going for a learning journey to either the Science Centre or the Singapore Zoological Gardens. The topics / lessons taught are an extension to the current Science syllabus. The pupils will attend a lecture before the hands-on activities.
6) E2K Programme (P4 and P5 pupils)
The E2K Programme is a Science enrichment programme for primary school pupils who demonstrate interest and ability in science. The programme aims to develop scientific inquiry process skills among high-ability primary pupils in Science as well as nurture other important 21st century competencies such as resilience and resourcefulness, critical and inventive thinking and effective communication skills. Just as scientists make mistakes in the real world, pupils are allowed to make mistakes in E2K and teachers facilitate pupils to learn from the mistakes. Through collaborative learning and hands-on activities, pupils practise scientific thinking and reasoning, develop confidence and independence in carrying out scientific inquiry as well as scientific habits, attitudes and dispositions.
7) GREEN Efforts
The Science department will be collaborating with NEA on various Green Efforts to raise awareness among the students to conserve the environment. The programmes and activities are interactive and they equip students with valuable skills such as communication, research and teamwork. The activities are
- Reuse Actions by Caring Hearts @ Schools (REACH)
- Save Food Programme by the Save Food Ambassadors
- E3 - Energy Efficiency Efforts @ South East Schools by the Eco-Reps
- WORM (Weed out n Remove Mosquitoes)